Tuesday, December 17, 2013

December 17th, 2013

I was hoping my first actual post would be something funny. An old story or something but nah. Here's what's on my mind.

1. People need to be nice to each other. Pretty basic stuff. I'm not saying everyone has to get along or like each other. Just saying some common courtesy goes a long way. I'm also only talking about strangers. You don't have to be nice to your friends. That's why they are you friends.

I've been infatuated with the south for a long time. I've been all over the country but never to the south. It's probably a good thing because I don't think i'd fit in. But from a distance I love the culture, the pride and loyalty that come with being raised under the Mason-Dixon Line. And I LOVE the concept of southern hospitality. All that 'yes ma'am' 'no sir' business. LOVE IT. The only problem is it doesn't fly other places because most woman in the north hate being called ma'am and some young clerks at stores now call me sir and I'm like 'hey c'mon kid be cool. Just cause I got grey hair doesn't mean you have to call me sir'.

So instead, a couple of years ago, I instilled something into my everyday routine. No matter who or where, whenever I am talking to a stranger I open up with "how are you doing today/tonight?" and I close with "have a good day/night". When I say to everyone I mean it. Gas station clerks. Drive Thru window clerks. Cab drivers. Tech assistant on the phone. Every house I deliver to. Everyone. The amount of people that stop, say 'oh', surprised, smile, then respond with, "I'm good . How are you?" or "thank you, you too" is a surprising amount. And while I know I'm not making anyways day I also know I'm not ruining anyone's.

2. Throw some compliments around everyday. Again, I'm talking about strangers. I'm not gonna compliment one of my ugly friends and you shouldn't have to do that either. That's why they are your friends. You know how good it feels to be complimented? The answer is good.
    
There's a gay guy at a restaurant I deliver for who is probably my biggest fan. Every time I walk in he throws out a "you sure your not gay? Want to let me help you find out?" Or "if I go on break right now will you come with". Yeah it's over the top but yeah, it also makes me think, 'damn, wish I were gay right now'.
      
At the last wedding I filmed an old lady came up to me and started dancing. When I say old I don't mean 40s/50's. I mean 70's/80s. She grabbed my arms and pulled me close. I backed up and let her know I was working and I couldn't dance. "I know," she said "but you're just so damn handsome". I laughed. Then she said, "what's your type? Please tell me you enjoy older women." I backed away laughing and fake filming then proceeded to avoid her the rest of the night but in my head I was like 'HEYYYOOO that old lady just said I was so damn handsome!!!'

       
Do girls really find that annoying? Are they actually annoyed and insulted when older men or ugly mean hit on them? I'm flattered anytime anyone talks to me. I'm a pretty simple guy.

No comments:

Post a Comment